IN THE WILD
IN THE WILD
RESTORED PROTECTED PRESERVED WILD
No matter how huge or how tiny, getting up close to wild creatures, rare plants or a newly discovered species is a privilege and a thrill!
Being here is about getting up close, hands on and immersed in our ongoing support of good conservation practices and the Getty Asterism vision:
- Hands on management of game within the reserve.
- Preventative action against rhino poaching: the Munywana Conservancy’s pioneering dehorning process.
- Game darting and working with Reserve professionals and wildlife vets.
- Research and monitoring: ear notching for indentification in the field, DNA sampling, data collections disease serology.
- Animal reintroduction and translocation.
- Camera Trapping: set up and monitor camera traps to discover animal movements or rarely seen animal species to aid in animal research projects.
- Bird Ringing: species idenfication, distribution, migratory patterns, population health, life cycles and behaviours.
- Birding with a specialised guide, on foot or driving, 435 bird species, 5 endemic bird species, photographic hide.
- Tracking on foot.
- Frogging in gumboots and head torches: wading in wetlands and pans using calls to identify and locate.
- Night driving with Infra-Red Camera equipment: follow animals and their nocturnal behaviour with minimal interference.
- Work with the Getty Asterism Ecologists: vegetation assessments, ecological restoration, attend to the tree nurseries, explore geology and fossil beds, monitor and identify rare habitats and flora.