IN THE WILD
IN THE WILD
RESTORED PROTECTED PRESERVED WILD
No matter how huge or how tiny, getting up close to wild creatures, rare plants or a newly discovered species is a privilege and a thrill!
Being here is about getting up close, hands on and immersed in our ongoing support of good conservation practices and the Getty Asterism vision:
- Hands on management of game within the reserve.
- Preventative action against rhino poaching: the Munywana Conservancy’s pioneering dehorning process.
- Game darting and working with Reserve professionals and wildlife vets.
- Research and monitoring: ear notching for indentification in the field, DNA sampling, data collections disease serology.
- Animal reintroduction and translocation.
- Camera Trapping: set up and monitor camera traps to discover animal movements or rarely seen animal species to aid in animal research projects.
- Bird Ringing: species idenfication, distribution, migratory patterns, population health, life cycles and behaviours.
- Birding with a specialised guide, on foot or driving, 435 bird species, 5 endemic bird species, photographic hide.
- Tracking on foot.
- Frogging in gumboots and head torches: wading in wetlands and pans using calls to identify and locate.
- Night driving with Infra-Red Camera equipment: follow animals and their nocturnal behaviour with minimal interference.
- Work with the Getty Asterism Ecologists: vegetation assessments, ecological restoration, attend to the tree nurseries, explore geology and fossil beds, monitor and identify rare habitats and flora.
“Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.”
~ MAYA ANGELOU ~